CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 25, 2008

Saturday afternoon zen.





My friend Lisa (who was visiting all the way from Boston) came up the Friday before last and made sushi with me...of course I couldn't find my camera to take pictures of our dually-made sushi, so the pics are of just mine I made the next day. (Lisa's were way prettier, so it's a shame you couldn't see hers).
But there's something about it. Malia was playing at a friend's house, Tessa was taking a nap. Darrin....well, he was probably taking a nap too. And it was...silent (weird around here). And I felt...content....and fulfilled and my mind was able to be still (also rare).....And then Malia came in and Tessa and Darrin woke up and I'm sure the t.v. came on and there was running around and laughing... and I was.... happy once again to have their noise surrounding me. I wouldn't always want it that quiet, but 30 minutes on a Saturday afternoon making sushi is just enough to get me through another week or two. Thank you Japan.

5 comments:

Cami said...

It is funny that you know exactly what my life is like. There are days when I look the same when Adam leaves as when he comes home. As for the orphans...my poor kids. It is always fun to leave my office and see what surprises lurk around the office. My kids always have something waiting for me. I should just learn that if it is quiet, it is not because they are being good.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow, zen sounds nice. Any suggestions on how to get it without raw fish? :P

Alicen said...

don't use raw fish. Actually, these were california rolls. I guess I should have specified. I use immitation crab. But, I do eat the real stuff in restaurants, just not by my preparation.

Lisa H. said...

sure was fun, alicen! thanks for sushi-ing with me.

ellen said...

I am so sad I wasn't able to see you when Lisa was here! The separate ingredients all look so inviting, but I just can't bring myself to actually eat the sushi! It's the wrap that gets me!